Monday, August 19, 2013

The Imposter (2012 film)

I realize that I haven't been posting much, and that's because I've been working 60+ hours a week. In my down time I've been getting together with my friends to watch lots and lots of films. So I'll start writing about them every once in whenever the fuck I feel like it.

The first is:

The Imposter (2012)


This British documentary had me holding my head, asking "how the hell did all this happen?"

The fact that these events took place blows my mind.

In 1994, a Texas boy named Nicholas Barclay went missing. In 1997, a man named Frédéric Bourdin, who was seven years older than Nicholas should have been, came in and pretended to be him.

What is so unbelievably screwed up is that Nicholas's family accepts him and keeps up the charade. His eye color is wrong, his hair color is wrong, his accent is wrong-and the family wants him to fit in.

I enjoyed this immensely-it is more compelling than most documentaries. Obviously most of the footage is re-enacted, but they have both Bourdin, Barclay's family, and officials speaking to the camera. If you look into the case of the missing boy, it might make you wonder about what really happened. Because it is real, it makes me sad to remember the reality is that a 13-year-old boy is missing and there is no confirmed explanation for his disappearance.  

If you like documentaries that are actually interesting and make you question how such fuckery can exist in the world, I highly recommend the 2012 documentary The Imposter.    

No comments:

Post a Comment