Friday, May 13, 2011

LA Times Article-Librarian Interrogations

Anne Rice shared a link on Facebook and I thought I would share. It is found on the LA Times website here. 

It is about librarians having to defend themselves in a court (which is set up in a basement). What are they defending? Their jobs. They have to be teachers to also be librarians in their state, and they have to have taught in the last 5 years. Clearly, someone doesn't understand the role librarians should be playing, which does include teaching children how to access information. Let us consider how many adults do not know how to access information. If a school librarian is doing their job, there is no need for this-especially to make them defend themselves in front of armed police officers and a judge.

Seriously? I'm glad it's not like that in Canada. I just want to be a librarian, not a full teacher, and I don't want to have to defend myself even more than I already do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment